Weekly update 20.10.23
Wow, 7 weeks are done in Year 3! What a great last week we have had to end a fantastic first term at Upton. We want to thank everyone for all of their hard work this term. We are very proud of you all! Let's see what we have been up to...
Reminders (Term 2 week 1):
- Red and Yellow class have swimming on a Monday.
- Tuesday is PE day, so please send your child into school wearing their PE kit.
- Please ensure that your child is wearing the correct school uniform.
- Term 2 starts on Tuesday 31st October 2023 (Monday is inset day).
Every week a child from each class will be awarded the kindness cup - a special trophy that sits on their desk for the whole week. A child is either chosen by their teacher or nominated by their peers for displaying kindness that week.
The winners for this week are:
3B - Olivia
3G - Sophie
3R - Arthur
3Y - Nojus
In English this week, we have been writing poetry. We started the week off by listening to Michael Rosen’s ‘I was born in the Stone Age’. We then wrote our own rhyming poem inspired by the Stone Age.
Next term we will be starting off by creating a non-fiction article all about robots.
Our Maths learning this week has been focused on bar charts and pictograms. We have been collecting data using tally charts or tables and then creating pictograms and bar charts from this data.
Next term we will be learning about addition and subtraction.
In our thematic learning this week we have been learning about Judaism in RE. We have discussed Jewish beliefs, including the 10 commandments, the Torah and have learnt about why Jerusalem and the synagogue are special places for Jewish people.
Next term we will start the term off with our personal development focus for the first week before moving onto our new thematic topic ‘Feel the force, see the light’.
- Please read with your child at least 3 times a week.
- Children have now been given their log-in details for Times Table Rock Stars. They should be playing this at least 3 times a week to build their confidence and fluency with times table knowledge.
- Children have been given a ZPD to help them identify the correct books for their reading level. Once your child has read their book, they will need to complete a quiz on it before getting a new one. These quizzes can be done either in school or at home on Accelerated Reader using the log-in codes found in their reading records.
- Spelling shed homework has also been set for the children to complete by next Friday.
- Please see the homework menu attached for our thematic homework.
Thank you everyone for all of your hard work this term. What an amazing start to life at Upton we have had! We hope that you all have a wonderful half-term, and we are already looking forward to seeing you all again ready for Term 2.
The Year 3 team