Weekly News 22.09.23
We have had a very busy week in Year 3 this week. Let's see what we have been up to.
- Blue and Green class have swimming on a Monday.
- Tuesday is PE day, so please send your child into school wearing their PE kit.
Every week a child from each class will be awarded the kindness cup - a special trophy that sits on their desk for the whole week. A child is either chosen by their teacher or nominated by their peers for displaying kindness that week.
The winners for this week are:
3B - Edward
3G - Florence
3R - Noah
3Y - Amelia
In English this week, we have continued with our text, Stone Age Boy. This text links really well with our current thematic theme 'Pre-History Rocks' and the children have enjoyed the book so far. This week we learnt about expanded noun phrases and used descriptive vocabulary to describe settings from the story. We were WOWED by the children's vivid and adventurous vocabulary.
Next week we will be learning about imperative verbs and writing instructions.
Our Maths learning this week has been focused on number sense. The children have been exploring a variety of mental strategies for addition and subtraction. In our maths meetings we have been focusing on number bonds and partitioning.
Next week we will be finishing up our number sense unit and starting to look at place value.
Our thematic learning this week has been mainly science-based. On Wednesday, the children looked at different types of rocks and how they are formed. On Thursday we learnt about how fossils are formed and on Friday we learnt about the British female palaeontologist Mary Anning. The children were fascinated by her work and how she discovered some of the important fossils that are displayed in the British Museum today.
Next week we will be exploring what soil is made of and the similarities and differences between farming in the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age.
- Please read with your child at least 3 times a week.
- Children have now been given their log-in details for Times Table Rock Stars. They should be playing this at least 3 times a week to build their confidence and fluency with times table knowledge.
- Children have been given a ZPD to help them identify the correct books for their reading level. Once your child has read their book they will need to complete a quiz on it before getting a new one. These quizzes can be done either in school or at home on Accelerated Reader using the log-in codes found in their reading records.
- Spelling shed homework has also been set for the children to complete by next Friday.
- Please see the homework menu attached for our thematic homework.
We are looking forward to another super week in Year 3 next week. We hope you have a great weekend.
The Year 3 team