Weekly News 29.09.23
We have had a very busy week in Year 3 this week. Let's see what we have been up to.
- Blue and Green class have swimming on a Monday.
- Tuesday is PE day, so please send your child into school wearing their PE kit.
- Please ensure that your child is wearing the correct school uniform.
- On Tuesday 10th October 2023, your children can come to school dressed in yellow (it could be one item, or ALL items of clothing yellow!) for a donation of your choice. All the proceeds will go to the Young Minds Organisation.
Every week a child from each class will be awarded the kindness cup - a special trophy that sits on their desk for the whole week. A child is either chosen by their teacher or nominated by their peers for displaying kindness that week.
The winners for this week are:
3B - Arlo
3G - Emmy
3R - Samarth
3Y - Erick
In English this week, we have been writing instructions. We linked our instructions to our text ‘Stone Age Boy’. In the story and in our thematic learning we have discovered how important fire was in the Stone Age as it was used for cooking, light, warmth and protection. At the start of the week, we watched some videos about how to safely build a fire. We then went out into the environmental area and acted out gathering the materials and building the fire. Inside we then discussed how to write a good set of instructions and then wrote our own instructions on how to make a fire. At the end of the week, we then wrote our own instructions about either making a Stone Age stew or Stone Age clothing. On Friday we also performed a Stone Age poem.
Next week we will be developing our oracy skills by creating a debate about the most important Stone Age jobs. We will be trying to persuade our teacher by using persuasive language.
Our Maths learning this week has been focused on place value. We have been identifying, writing and representing 3-digit numbers. We have also been partitioning numbers and adding and subtracting 10 and 100 from 3-digit numbers.
Next week we will be learning how to round numbers, and then we will be using our place value knowledge to investigate and solve number problems.
In our thematic learning this week we started by learning about soil and what it is made of. We then looked at how rocks change over time and how the processes of weathering and erosion effect rocks. After that we then recapped the main achievements in the Stone Age and looked at how things had developed over the 3 main time periods within the Stone Age: Palaeolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic. We finished the week by looking at how farming had developed from the Stone Age to the Bronze Age and finally to the Iron Age.
Next week we will be exploring how they developed ceramics and how they used and developed art during pre-historic times.
- Please read with your child at least 3 times a week.
- Children have now been given their log-in details for Times Table Rock Stars. They should be playing this at least 3 times a week to build their confidence and fluency with times table knowledge.
- Children have been given a ZPD to help them identify the correct books for their reading level. Once your child has read their book, they will need to complete a quiz on it before getting a new one. These quizzes can be done either in school or at home on Accelerated Reader using the log-in codes found in their reading records.
- Spelling shed homework has also been set for the children to complete by next Friday.
- Please see the homework menu attached for our thematic homework.
We are looking forward to another super week in Year 3 next week. We hope you have a great weekend.
The Year 3 team