Weekly Update 3.11.23
We’ve had a cracking start to Term 2 in Year 3 Let's see what we have been up to...
Reminders (Term 2 week 1):
- Red and Yellow class have swimming on a Monday.
- Tuesday is PE day, so please send your child into school wearing their PE kit.
- Please ensure that your child is wearing the correct school uniform.
Every week a child from each class will be awarded the kindness cup - a special trophy that sits on their desk for the whole week. A child is either chosen by their teacher or nominated by their peers for displaying kindness that week.
The winners for this week are:
3B - Lily
3G - Stanley
3R - Samarth
3Y – Liliana
As always, we have started the term with non-fiction in preparation for our text ‘Iron Man’. We set about researching robots in order to create our own non-fiction reports about the mechanical marvels. Next week, we will begin to explore ‘Iron Man’ and kick things off with a character description.
Our Maths learning this week has been focused on strategies to add and subtract mentally, using a range of manipulatives.
This work will continue next week.
This week we have been focused on Personal Development and learnt about Protected Characteristics, marriage and discussed how to stay safe online.
Next week we start our new thematic topic ‘Feel the force, see the light’.
- Please read with your child at least 3 times a week.
- Children have now been given their log-in details for Times Table Rock Stars. They should be playing this at least 3 times a week to build their confidence and fluency with times table knowledge.
- Children have been given a ZPD to help them identify the correct books for their reading level. Once your child has read their book, they will need to complete a quiz on it before getting a new one. These quizzes can be done either in school or at home on Accelerated Reader using the log-in codes found in their reading records.
- Spelling shed homework has also been set for the children to complete by next Friday.
- Thank you for all of your fantastic (and creative) homework efforts last term. We have created a new menu for this term’s topic. Remember, if you would like to record your learning in a book, just ask your class teacher and they will be happy to find one for you.
Thank you everyone for all of your hard work this term. What an amazing start to life at Upton we have had! We hope that you all have a wonderful half-term, and we are already looking forward to seeing you all again ready for Term 2.
The Year 3 team